Monday, April 29, 2013

Call in the Cavalry

It's hard to believe it's already been a week.  At this moment, seven days ago, I was recovery from knee surgery.  I didn't have a particular injury but rather a nagging dull knee pain that seemed to creep up every time I tried to do something remotely physical. It started in my twenties when I went hiking for a full day and then progressed into my thirties flaring up only when I pushed it hard.  By the time I was in my forties I noticed it came on more frequently and seemed to occur even after moderate to light use.  I tried physical therapy which helped greatly with the day to day stuff, but the following year when we went skiing it was back again.  After watching a bus load of senior citizens take in a full day of skiing while I sat on the sidelines reading a book, I decided that it might be time to try a more permanent solution. So last week my surgeon performed a lateral release and cleaned up the area under my right knee cap. My knees won't ever be perfect, but hopefully between the surgery and more physical therapy at least one of them should be in better shape.

Taking a homeschooling mom of three out of commission for potentially a couple days if not an entire week seemed like an impossible mission. My kids are old enough to fend for themselves but they're not at driving age yet so I knew we'd need help.  My husband is excellent with domestic duties but he was on call and could potentially be out of the picture at a moment's notice. So what's a busy mom to do? Send in the cavalry grandparents!

My parents arrived Sunday afternoon just in time to go over the schedule and other details.  After surgery on Monday they were there to check in on me as I drifted in and out of sleep.

Friends provided by Kat.

Dennis took the kids to the beach so the house was really quiet.  I know they don't think they did much, but having them in the house those first few hours was very comforting. The next few days I was up and around with very limited mobility and still a somewhat sleepy temperament. My parents facilitated the kids' studies and Dennis drove me to and from appointments.  In the afternoons, my dad took the kids out to various fun activities leaving my mom and I to catch up on movies.  I couldn't be more appreciative for the help they provided for me and my family during this time of recovery.  

On the day they left I was sad to see them go. Dennis also left on a trip so I was once again alone with the kids. I was able to drive and could now get around the house pretty easily. The difficultly came not with the usual house activities but rather the mental stamina required to be around kids all day.  Don't get me wrong, my kids are great, it's just that when you are alone with them you are fielding every request, concern, question, conversation, argument, explanation, etc.  It can be exhausting to be the only adult in the room handling everything from each kid.  So when my folks say, "We didn't really do that much," they are failing to realize that just their very presences in the room was a huge blessing.  I can't thank them enough for their support, love, encouragement, and most definitely their time in our home.  It really made all the difference!


  1. I really appreciated my parents grand help and still do AND I love being able to bless my kids now. Thanks for a delightful visit via the Hip Homeschool Hop. :)

    1. Thanks Kaye! Always nice to get a comment! :)