Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mid-Summer Review

It doesn't take long to go from end of the school-year to mid-summer. As a matter of fact, it's almost instantaneous.  Well, that's how it feels.

The kiddos wrapped up 9th, 8th, and 5th grade on the final day of May.  It's now mid-July and the summer has more than half past by.  I can hardly believe it and we are all still in denial.

My oldest, Emily, is taking Driver's Ed this summer. I think that was a very good choice because if nothing else happens at least we'll feel like she accomplished something.  She doesn't realize it, but she's actually doing "school work" thus continuing to engage her brain in something other than drawing pictures of cats.

My middle child and only son, James, is determined to build his own computer this summer so his time has been spent researching, reading, comparison shopping, and talking to adults "in the know" both online and in computer stores.  Although I know this is for pleasure, I have no doubt that he has unwittingly (or perhaps unknowing) used many skills that I hope he will continue to use in his lifetime.

My youngest, Katherine, has signed on with Azuree Talent this summer in hopes to one day become employed in some kind of acting job. So far nothing has come up, but she did manage to sing at our church's Artists' Night. She also continues to take singing lessons so even though we're getting very little reading or math out of her, she is doing something productive that she loves to do.

I've been doing my usual curriculum research extravaganza.  I think I have the next year designed out, but it's hard to say if it'll be a huge hit or a big miss.  Here's what we've got so far.

Emily, 10th grade:

Geometry, Math U See
Debate:  Co-Op
American History:  Co-Op
Advanced Literature: Co-Op
2-D Art - Co-Op
Physical Science - Apologia

James, 9th grade:

Geometry, Math U See
Debate/English 1: Co-Op
American History:  Co-Op
Physical Science- Co-Op
Chemistry (or 2-D Art) - Co-Op

Katherine, 6th Grade:

Math - Teaching Texbooks 6
English 1 - FLVS
Science - ACE
Social Science - ACE
Life Skills - Miss. Cathy's Tutoring

There's a little wiggle room for changes as they come up, but otherwise we are fairly certain this is how the year will play out. The most exciting thing (ok, perhaps just for me) is that the older kids will go to a co-op once a week while the youngest will attend a tutoring program on the same day. Did you catch that?  One day a week the kids will be completely out of the house for a few hours.  I hardly know what I will do that first day.  The list of possibilities for a homeschool mom of 3 are endless. :)

I'm just going to sit here and ponder that for moment and without a doubt.... in these few seconds that pass... the school year will begin again.






No comments:

Post a Comment